[NBLUG/talk] Monitoring my webpage

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 16:56:11 PST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 7:27 PM, E Frank Ball III <frankb at frankb.us> wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 27, 2007 at 07:08:51PM -0500, Jack Smith wrote:
>  > I have my own webpage in html on my server at home and would like to
> monitor
>  > its use (if any).  Something in the system log would be fine, so would
> most
>  > anything else.  "You are the nth user" is dorky but I suppose I would
> do
>  > that if there's nothing better.  :-)  Any idea where I should start
> looking?
>  >
>  > --
>  > Jack Smith
>

> Many possibilities:
>
> Your server probably has a log file in /var/log/? that you can read.
> What webserver are you running?
>
> You can run the "logcheck" program.  It greps your log files once an
> hour and sends you an email with anything interesting.  You define
> what's interesting with regular expressions in the config files.
> For a very low volume site you could just have it send you any log
> activity for the website.
>
> http://www.statcounter.com/
> They give you some javascript to include on your webpage, then you log
> into their site to see the stats.  Free for the last 100 hits to your
> site.  Pay money for longer history.
>
> http://www.google.com/analytics/
> They give you some javascript to include on your webpage, then you log
> into their site to see the stats.  Free.
>
> http://www.digits.com/
> A web counter that shows on your webpage.  Free if you include a small
> icon/link to their page.  There are a number of services like this.
> Some come and go, this one has been around a while.  You could also
> write your own cgi script in perl or bash or whatever to do this pretty
> easily.
>

> --
>
>  Frank Ball  frankb at frankb.us

OK everybody, thanks, I just tripped over the logs by myself.  My server is
keeping usage in /var/www/usage/ by month, day, and hour with all sorts of
beautiful graphs.  All in HTML so I can look at it in my browser.

Thanks again,
--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.