[NBLUG/talk] Ideal laptop for Linux?

Marty Kamp dogstar at pacific.net
Sat Dec 29 11:09:48 PST 2007

My two cents....

I got a refurb from HP - the 12" NC2400
comes with Win XP.  I'm not sure I could tell it from a new one, and
it's warranteed.  $699 as I recall.

Anyway, in spite of
being a Linux noob, I managed to install Ubuntu as dual boot.
Everything, including wireless, works, and I'm real happy with it.
It has the large bettery so I get 5-6 hours without charging.

Marty Kamp.

> Hi Edward,

Dell and IBM are good choices. My 1.5 year-old Dell Latitude D420 and
> Kubuntu are pretty close to working perfectly together without
any
> glitches. Battery life is better under Windows, though.
>
> You'll probably do well with Gateway too, since they
have fairly generic
> hardware like Dell. I've had the worst luck
with Toshiba.

> Craigslist is where I got my Latitude,
but you need to know what it's
> worth because quite often the
sellers don't.

> Cheerful regards,

Bob

> mendozae at sonoma.edu wrote:
>> My wife and I and our 13 y/o daughter are ready for a sorely
needed
>> laptop.
>>
>> Which is the best
laptop for a Linux distro? For that matter, which is
>> the
>> best distro for a laptop? And where can I best find such a
laptop?
>> Although I prefer to use a second hand laptop, I'm
open to the idea of
>> buying a brand new one.