[NBLUG/talk] The dreaded random crashes!!!

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Wed Feb 7 18:33:43 PST 2007

I did a reinstall on my Debian/Etch system (2.6.18-3 stock kernel) about a
month ago.  It has been working well for the most part, but I've been
experiencing random crashes that force me to do a hard reset.  The computer
doesn't respond to keyboard or mouse input, and I can't even ping it over the
network.

Since I'm running X11, I can't see if the kernel printed any error messages on
the console before crashing.  I tried looking at my logs, and I can't find
anything (although I'm not exactly sure which file(s) to look in).  Any ideas
where I should look for clues?

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Every living thing wants to survive.
		-- Spock, "The Ultimate Computer", stardate 4731.3