[NBLUG/talk] The dreaded random crashes!!!

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Thu Feb 8 16:02:03 PST 2007

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 06:33:43PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I did a reinstall on my Debian/Etch system (2.6.18-3 stock kernel) about a
> month ago.  It has been working well for the most part, but I've been
> experiencing random crashes that force me to do a hard reset.  The computer
> doesn't respond to keyboard or mouse input, and I can't even ping it over the
> network.
>
> Since I'm running X11, I can't see if the kernel printed any error messages on
> the console before crashing.  I tried looking at my logs, and I can't find
> anything (although I'm not exactly sure which file(s) to look in).  Any ideas
> where I should look for clues?

I was playing with Beryl and Xgl recently, and decided it was a bit to slow,
so reverted to X11 and Kwin.  Ever since, probably unrelated (more related
to KDE upgrades?), I've had issues like:

* KDE screen locker flashing over and over and not responding
* 100% CPU usage during screen lock
* Unable to unlock screen (stayed black), or switch to a text console
  (Ctrl+Alt+F1)
* One time, same as above, but SSH also didn't work (could still ping);
  had to hit hard Reset

Getting kinda annoying.  This is on Kubuntu running KDE 3.5.6.
Haven't had time to google it or ask around IRC yet. :(

-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/