[NBLUG/talk] Edgy + XGL + beryl [+ kde]

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Sun Feb 18 14:41:26 PST 2007

I had one too many friends recently talk about Beryl and its gee-whiz
effects, so I decided to set it up on my Kubuntu Edgy desktop.

Of course the first step is always google, which turned up this:
http://wiki.beryl-project.org/index.php/Install/Ubuntu/Edgy/XGL

I'm not sure what took longer, downloading the packages, or configuring
it.  Either way, I was up and running in under 15 min.

Not sure if I actually *like* it, but it's certainly worth playing with for
the little effort involved.

The biggest drawback for me, is that with my love of MDI interfaces,
switching tabs in Opera, Firefox or Multi-gnome-terminal is quite a bit
slower.  That seems to be the deal with Beryl -- lots of stuff is amazingly
fast, while other as-yet-unoptimized bits are kinda laggy.  (I'm running on
a geforce 6600gt)

Hats off to all the coders, packagers (and wiki documentors) -- they
certainly weren't unambitious when starting this project.

Thanks also to vallor, dwangoac and kc135 for the inspiration to check it
out.

-t