[NBLUG/talk] CMP Sys Admin mag? [...& others?]

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Tue Feb 20 15:39:52 PST 2007

Walter Hansen wrote:
> I have no idea why I get these, but I like them. I know why I get
> Information World and its variants and there is much less stuff per page.
> Anybody else get these? Are they useful to you?
>
> Current articles:
> Respect your Backup Admin?
> Backup Encryption
> Online Backup Solution using IBM DS8000
> AIX Tolls
> RAM Nagios vs HD Nagios
> Managing Log Files with Splunk
> Misc Unix Tips
> Successfuly Creating and Presenting Graphics
> The Replacements
> Questions and Answers
>
> http://www.sysadminmag.com

I had a subscription to sysadmin magazine a few years ago, and I'm
embarrassed to admit that so many of the articles were over my head or
about topics that just didn't apply to my situation at the time that I
did not renew.  I think it's a good magazine, it just wasn't for me at
the time (if I had more time to read, I might sign up again). I would
encourage anyone who's doing sysadmin as a real job to check out a few
issues and see if there's something useful for them.

The magazine I *do* subscribe to is linux magazine
(http://www.linuxmagazine.com).  I've been renewing this one for a few
years.  I appreciate that it has a mix of newbie & advanced topics, and
it also covers both home/desktop *and* admin-ish stuff.  As I've become
a more sophisticated user, I've gone back to older articles that were a
little too advanced the first time I read them and gotten more out of
them.  There might not be enough meat for a power user, but check it out
(some articles are online) if you've never read it.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley
dsisley at sonic.net