[NBLUG/talk] The curse of intermittent USB failures strikes again!

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 12:08:23 PST 2007

Not exactly on topic, but last week I had a USB cable go crazy on me.
I first noticed that the OS couldn't see one of my USB devices. I
tried rebooting, and the BIOS locked up while doing the memory check
(!!!). I unplugged the device, and the boot continued as normal. I
repeated the operation a couple times, just to make sure that I wasn't
going crazy. Having the USB device plugged in consistantly caused the
BIOS's power-on self-test to lock up.

I removed the cable from the device, and plugged the device directly
into the machine's USB port. Now everything is fine.

So, a really simple thing can trip everything else up. :-P

William