[NBLUG/talk] PAL to NTSC DVD

Bob Blick bbblick at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jul 9 20:02:28 PDT 2007

Hey Kyle, your book "Linux Multimedia Hacks" is a great book. I've done
some awesome things with the spells contained in it.

But now I'm trying to take a region 2 DVD I bought from England and
convert it to play here.

I found out that merely taking the regioning off doesn't make it work -
because it's in PAL format and my DVD player (and television) only
handles NTSC.

The other ways I've examined seem like they will give me less than
optimum video quality, because I'll be doing two conversions using an
intermediate file.

I can rip the DVD to my hard disk, and I get multiple VOBs and such.

I don't mind losing the menus and special features, but I'd like to be
able to convert it with only one transcoding process, and I can't figure
out which spell will take the multiple VOBs and make "new" VOBs so I can
 make a new DVD that'll play in my DVD player and TV.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Cheerful regards,

Bob