[NBLUG/talk] Ports for Gmail

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 10:04:59 PDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Eric Eisenhart <eric at nblug.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 12:28:51PM -0400, Jack Smith wrote:
> > Does anyone know if Gmail Chat uses different ports than Gmail or
> > Gmail Talk?  Chat doesn't work and the others do.
>
> I don't know about ports, but it does use different servers than either of
> those:
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=34330&topic=8407
>
> Also, what browser are you using?
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=33540&topic=8406

I can ping the server (chatenabled) just fine and I'm using Firefox
2.0.0.3.  My daughters, using Windows and the same version of Firefox
can use chat just fine from my house, going through the same Linksys
router and the same cable modem to the same ISP.  That's why I'm down
to wondering about the ports.  I've been on the Gmail chat trying
everything they've suggested too.  Eventually, I'll probably give up
and just keep Google Talk running, but having the chat up and visible
while I'm using Gmail is good.  Also, chat was working before, it
seems to have just quit.  As far as I can see, with no provocation.
:-)

Thanks,
Jack
--
English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.