[NBLUG/talk] install fest

Christopher Wagner waggie at waggie.net
Tue Mar 6 14:30:08 PST 2007

I'll second that, Ubuntu is highly recommended for inexperienced users..
I'm running Ubuntu 6.10 on my Toshiba laptop (granted, it's a couple
years old) and everything worked out of the box (maybe not perfectly,
but it worked). That includes Atheros wireless, accelerated video,
built-in sound, hibernation, etc..

I use grip or Sound Juicer for CD ripping, VLC for video playback, xmms
or RhythmBox for music playback, AcidRIP or Thoggen for DVD ripping, k3b
or GnomeBaker (I run these two as root), for DVD creation I've been
playing with DeVeDe but haven't had a lot of success yet.

I've had a little bit of experience getting Broadcom wireless chipsets
to work under Linux. I did this a couple of times on Dell laptops. What
I did was download the firmware (a .bin file, if I recall) for my
particular chipset from a site (which conveniently had a Debian/Ubuntu
package), install the package, modify one or two lines in a config line,
then load a kernel module, and voila. I wish I could remember the site,
I had it bookmarked, but it got lost amidst the background noise awhile
back. I'll poke around a bit and see if I can't find the site again.

- Chris