[NBLUG/talk] Knoppix won't boot

Dave Sisley dsisley at sonic.net
Thu Mar 8 14:27:12 PST 2007

Hi:

I just got 2 off-lease IBM NetVista boxes at work and I want to play
with Knoppix on them (future use: Kiosks), but Knoppix will not boot all
the way.  I get dropped to a shell.  Here is the message on the screen
(I'm retyping, so any typos are mine):
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8480B]
Accessing KNOPPIX CD at /dev/hdc...insmod: Can't read
'cdrom/knoppix/modules/cloop.ko': I/O Error
insmod: Can't read 'cdrom/knoppix/modules/cloop.ko': I/O Error
Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.

<etc.>

I get this on both machines, and I had the same problem booting with the
'knoppix nodma'  cheatcode.  I'm not sure exactly what the hardware is,
but can dig in and provide it if somebody thinks it's useful.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

-dave.

--
Dave Sisley