[NBLUG/talk] Re: Installfest - Sat. 3/17

Jippen cheetahmorph at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 11:07:44 PDT 2007

With ribbon cables, backwards/forewards doesn't matter much. Big thing
to check, though, is if you plugged it in upside-down. I've done that
one before. Needle-nose pliers help with the pins in that case. ~.^
Also, at that age, try putting the CDROM on a separate data channel if
you can. The mobo might not support dual-channel IDE cables. No idea
though, as my first PC was a pentium 166.

On 3/16/07, William Tracy <afishionado at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, I know I'm replying to the list. I have a reason. :-)
>
> > Anybody would like to have a mac ppc--Performa
> > 6400/200 to experiment upon?
>
> I won't be back in town for another couple weeks, but I have a couple
> old PCs I might trade for it. About 90MHz, 1Gb hard drives. One has a
> pirated Win98 install (!) the other has a Mandrake install that will
> need to be bulldozed (way too slow--launch KDE, click the menu icon,
> and wait two seconds for the menu to pop up). Both have NICs
> installed. I can probably find keyboards and mice for them, but you're
> probably going to be on your own for monitors.
>
> The reason I'm posting to the list: I slapped a CD-ROM drive into one,
> and now it won't boot. I think I plugged a ribbon cable in backwards.
> Is there anyone around who can look at a ribbon cable and tell if its
> plugged in backwards or not? :-) I'm hoping that I haven't actually
> fried anything.
>
> William

Need a certified computer technicician?
Comptia A+, Network+