[NBLUG/talk] vmplayer configuration question

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 5 13:31:15 PDT 2007

On Saturday 05 May 2007 12:01, Jack Smith wrote:
> Aaarghh.  So doesn't it work in Core 5?  Should I upgrade?  Build the
> player from the tar file instead of using the rpm?  Something simple and
> obvious (I hope) that I'm missing?

My guess is that the vmmon module was written for a different version of the
kernel.  Usually the difference between minor releases (e.g. 2.6.x) are
small, and won't break third-party modules, but sometimes they do.

Probably the easiest solution is to find out what version of the Linux kernel
the vmmon module was originally written for and use that, even if it's
slightly older than what you're running now.

Another possibility is that the Fedora kernel contains third-party patches
that breaks something in vmmon.  If that's the case, you might have to build
a custom kernel, and that has a much steeper learning curve than typing in
"rpm -U kernel".  Hopefully it won't come to that.

--
Lincoln Peters		<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

A classic is something that everyone wants to have read
and nobody wants to read.
		-- Mark Twain, "The Disappearance of Literature"