[NBLUG/talk] php5 apache2 WON'T DIE

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Mon May 21 08:23:58 PDT 2007

Eric,

Thank you. Your suggestions helped. I'm sure it's no surprise to any members
of this mailing list that you knew commands that most of us had not heard of.

I didn't explain my actions very thoroughly. By the time I wrote I was
thinking in shorthand and regressing into an earlier lifeform as a result of
the frustration.

I did use apt to install and remove all of the packages. But lsof revealed all
sorts of things that were persistently running.

I ended up reinstalling egroupware, calling for the 'egroupware-core' package
instead of just 'egroupware' (they both install, but different versions
(egroupware-core:v1.06 and egroupware: v1.04). That seemed to get everything
into alignment.

Apparently php5 does not include mysql extensions in the package and while
that is the preferred build for the latest version of egroupware, in addition
there are some known bugs in php5 that cause 'haystack' errors that break the
display of data.

Everything is running now, with php4, mysql5 , and egroupware 1.06.

After that happened I gave way to the primal instincts and fairly *ran* away
from my keyboard (after locking the console, there was a small piece of
modern man left in me) and went outside to ogle the big yellow ball in the
sky.

Thanks again, Eric

Bob