[NBLUG/talk] How to set FROM field in script-generated email?

E Frank Ball III frankb at frankb.us
Mon Nov 5 14:32:47 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 02:10:19PM -0800, Dave Sisley wrote:
 > Hey:
 >
 > I use a couple of scripts to send out some emails, using mutt in the
 > shell script.  I'd never noticed that the FROM field was blank in these
 > emails.
 >
 > One recipient has a mail.com address, and that email would not go
 > through.  I added 'export EMAIL=myaddress at work' to my .bash_profile and
 > tried sending an email (from a script) to my sonic address.  It was
 > blocked -  "(reason: 554 5.7.1 localhost.localdomain isn't valid for
 > HELO/EHLO, please fix your server.)".  Sonic won't accept my email,
 > either, since I don't have a real domain name for my box.

Sonic doesn't care what you use for a From: address, just that you have
one (it should be a real address, but it can be any real address, like a
gmail address).

Did you put 'export EMAIL=myaddress at work' inside your script?

I've never set the EMAIL variable.  I use mutt and set the From field in
the .muttrc file (set from=).

Exactly what is in your script?  Are you using mail, mailx, mutt, formail, ??

   E Frank Ball                frankb at frankb.us