[NBLUG/talk] How to set FROM field in script-generated email?

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Tue Nov 6 11:38:32 PST 2007

On Mon, Nov 05, 2007 at 05:24:25PM -0800, Dave Sisley wrote:
> Troy Arnold wrote:
> >
> Sure - my machine has no domain set.  It's just localdomain.
> > So, you can use another scriptable client that does do SMTP (sorry, no
> > suggestions), or configure your local MTA to send a valid HELO.

> Would that be sendmail, then?  I took a quick look at the config file
> for that, but don't know where to set it. (I have a book I won @ NBLUG,

Before Frank beat me to it, I was going to suggest postfix also (unless you
want/need the sendmail practice).  Postfix is secure, simple and sane to
configure, yet is still flexible.  Yes, you can look at the postifx config
files and understand them without having the M4 macro processer implant.

> > That should be whatever your reverse IP address is.  If you're on on a
> > sonic DSL account it would be something like:
> > 69-12-131-nnn.dsl.static.sonic.net
> >
> so if I have a sonic IP: 66.77.88.99, the reverse IP would be:
> 66-77-88-nnn.dsl.static.net?

That was ambiguous, sorry:

66-77-77-99.dsl.static.sonic.net

Here's a quick tool I keep around for such things:
http://zenux.net/env.php

> > Also, if you have a static IP address from Sonic, they've got a nice tool
> > to set your own reverse DNS.
> >
> I just looked at that tool, and I don't understand it.  The address that
> pops up on the screen doesn't even look like our address!

Perhaps someone that does can help you out.  I no longer have a static IP
through Sonic.

-t