[NBLUG/talk] Installing a new font on Ubuntu

Steve Bursch sbursch at sonic.net
Sun Nov 18 22:07:19 PST 2007

I use OpenOffice.org on both my Windows XP machine, and on my Ubuntu machine.  Both versions of OpenOffice are at the same release level: 2.3.  I've discovered that the OpenOffice.org on my Windows machine has many more fonts available to it than does OpenOffice on my Ubuntu machine.  For example, Times New Roman is available on my Windows machine, but is not available on my Ubuntu machine.  Consequently, OpenOffice documents created on my Windows machine do not format correctly when transferred to the Ubuntu machine, if they were created using a font unavailable on the Ubuntu machine.

What is the procedure for adding fonts to Ubuntu, and how do I make them available to OpenOffice and other applications on the Ubuntu machine?  The OpenOffice Help screens suggest that I use a program called, spadmin.  On my system, when I tried to invoke the spadmin program, the system was unable to find it.  I know I must be doing something wrong, and I could use some guidance on how to correct the problem.

Thanks in advance....Steve