[NBLUG/talk] nspluginwrapper problem

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:26:39 PDT 2007

I have converted over to a Debian x64 architecture for my desktop. The
reason for doing this was to have the ability to install more than 4GB
of RAM so that I could use vmware to the extent I wanted.

I'm having a minor problem in that flash isn't working and java is
only partially installed. I have been attempting to use
nspluginwrapper, but have been frustrated by its supposed inability to
recognize and "install" 32-bit plugins for iceweasel.  Has anyone had
any experience with this?

I have done quite a bit of reasearch, but can only find somewhat vague
references to missing lib files for 32-bit versions of gtk, but
/usr/lib/ shows that libgtk is there (it is a symbolic link to
libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.800): "-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3296832 2007-03-04
14:12 libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0.800.20"

I have plugins in both the /usr/lib/firefox/plugs and
/home/sean/.mozilla/plugins directories, just in case. nspluginwrapper
does not find plugins in any directory.

Below is an output of the "nspluginwrapper -v -a -u" and
"nspluginwrapper -i libflashplayer.so" commands (run both as the user
and root with the same results). I am not able to find any other
relevant log entries. Let me know if you need to see anything else.

Thank you for your help!

---

sean at debian-vmware-host:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins$ nspluginwrapper -v -a -u
Auto-update plugins from /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins
Auto-update plugins from /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/lib64/mozilla/plugins
Auto-update plugins from /usr/lib/browser-plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/lib/browser-plugins
Auto-update plugins from /usr/lib64/browser-plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/lib64/browser-plugins
Auto-update plugins from /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/lib/firefox/plugins
Auto-update plugins from /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/lib64/firefox/plugins
Auto-update plugins from /home/sean/.mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /home/sean/.mozilla/plugins
sean at debian-vmware-host:/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins$

debian-vmware-host:/home/sean/Desktop/temp# nspluginwrapper -i libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/nspluginwrapper/i386/linux/npviewer.bin: error while loading
shared libraries: libgtk-x11-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file:
No such file or directory
nspluginwrapper: no appropriate viewer found for libflashplayer.so