[NBLUG/talk] Heads up for Fedora users

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 08:37:36 PDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 15, 2008 at 6:30 AM, Scott Doty <scott at ponzo.net> wrote:
> ...hoping to hear soon what the deal is..

Seems like a kind of sudden way to upgrade their security policies.  I
wonder if someone sneaked in a malicious patch, and they're doing
frantic damage control?

I know that a while ago, someone contributed a malicious (and very
cleverly disguised) patch to the Linux kernel, but that one was caught
before it was ever released.  I can't remember what the patch claimed
to do, but I remember the malicious part was that it changed a certain
permissions check to assign root privileges to a user, rather than
checking that the user actually had them.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>