[NBLUG/talk] Acer Aspire One Memory Upgrade

steve smith sjs at sonic.net
Tue Dec 9 14:19:31 PST 2008

Paul Peterson wrote:
> Steve,
>
> I will admit I gave up. The screws are stuck in almost as if they had
> used a thread locking glue.  I have some plans to take it to my dads
> workshop and carefully drill out the screws...so you might get a
> donation of spare parts soon...if things don't go so well ;)
There is thread locking gunk on the screws :)  One of the videos
suggested using pliers to turn a new screw driver to loosen the screws.
  That worked...  You need a workspace where you can press down hard on
the screw while turning.  The screws under the keyboard are lock-tighted
too.  It might be worth one more try before you take a drill to it.

> If the new job goes well I might have to get another one (maybe the
> dell or MSI) and give this one to my folks.
I read the reviews on one of the pc laptop magazines before buying this
one.  The Acer got the best review of the bunch ans was the cheapest.
It was on Amazon with free shipping the other day.

> Thanks for the input, these are super little machines. For those
> listening...just make sure you buy the 1gb+ RAM model. The SSD is not
> stellar either, but for something that costs less then a good monitor
> it is worth it.
I'm still running XP.  First priority was to get something working that
I could put in place of the other machine and so far this fits.  I'm
waiting for the next solid Ubuntu release before dual-booting this box.
  I've had really good luck with it.