[NBLUG/talk] OCR software

Jack Smith jack.delbert at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 11:05:15 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 1:04 PM, Troy Arnold <troy at zenux.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 10:41:52AM -0500, Jack Smith wrote:
> > Does anyone know of any good OCR software?  Good enough to read smudged
> > copies?  That doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
>
> The best free stuff was pretty clearly tesserect last time I played around
> with it.  http://code.google.com/p/tesseract-ocr/
>
> Getting good output depends a lot on the pre-processing you do to your
> images.  Recently linux journal ran a very good article on OCR ... it
> may be online.

Tesseract does a beautiful job on clean copy and the article does a pretty
good job of showing how to clean up the source.  I guess my source is just
so bad it's faster to type it in.  Unless there's something better on dirty
copy out there?

--
Jack Smith

English doesn't borrow from other languages -- English follows other
languages down dark alleys and takes what it wants.