[NBLUG/talk] Sound distortion while scrolling/moving windows in X

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 22:59:00 PST 2008

On Jan 9, 2008 10:39 PM, Dave Sisley <dsisley at sonic.net> wrote:
> Here's a weird one.  If I scroll in a window while listening to music,
> the sound becomes distorted until I stop scrolling.  It also happens if
> I'm moving a window around on the screen.  The system monitor & top
> shows the CPU jumps up when I'm fooling with the windows.  It's usually
> X that's at the top of top, but if I'm scrolling in Firefox, both X and
> FF use up the CPU.

I've noticed this with a variety of low-end sound controllers that are
built into motherboards.  If you disable it and install a dedicated
sound card (sometimes you can find a Sound Blaster Live at the
Computer Recycling Center--they sound great and they work well on
Linux), you'll probably find that the problem completely disappears.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>