[NBLUG/talk] VMware Linux guest recommendations

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Jan 11 13:48:20 PST 2008

On Fri, Jan 11, 2008 at 01:28:46PM -0800, Cameron Tully-Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm looking for a Linux distribution that will run fast in VMware; I don't
> need everything installed, looking mostly for Java development ala Eclipse
> and PostgreSQL.
>
> Any preferences?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Cameron
> --
> Cameron Tully-Smith
> 707-321-8029 (cell)
> cameron.tullysmith at gmail.com

Honestly, since VMware is virtualizing the hardware, what distribution you
choose doesn't matter that much, provided it is easy for you to disable all
unnecessary services so you have as much RAM as possible for VMware. That
having been said, certain distributions (like Debian) are much easier to
install in a very slimmed down manner, but I haven't noticed any
significant performance differences between the many different
distributions I've tried.

Performance will depend more on your hardware and the amount of RAM you
will have available for your java instance.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org