[NBLUG/talk] KDE 4 & Kubuntu

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Wed Jan 16 13:03:41 PST 2008

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 12:49:29PM -0800, mendozae at sonoma.edu wrote:

> I'm embarrassed to ask this question but I hope you'll forgive me
> considering that I'm still a novice.
>
> Don't Kubuntu and Ubuntu, for example, have adequate GUI's so as to not
> need KDE 4? For example, is there a reasonable justification for
> installing KDE 4 if though I'm running Kubuntu on my computer? Or am I
> missing something here?

Kubuntu is just ubuntu with the 'kde-desktop' package installed.  The
latest (k)ubuntu uses KDE 3.58.

I would not suggest that most people install KDE 4 just yet on their
primary desktops.  It's rather rough around some of its edges, and it can
be a bit crashy as well.  I think the roadmap is looking toward a spring
launch of KDE 4.1.  That'd be a better time to check it out.

-t