[NBLUG/talk] Older Server

Walter Hansen gandalf at sonic.net
Thu Jan 17 11:13:49 PST 2008

I have an older server running RH 7.3 due for compatibility with telephony
software. It has an issue booting and I think I know why. It had a single
directory with 15,000+ files in it under ext2 or ext3 (I think ext3). I
used knoppix and copied the important stuff to a usb drive and then used
e2fsck to repair the file system after deleting the 15,000+ files. There
were a lot of problems mostly in the upper blocks. I'm running e2fsck -c
to check for bad blocks right now, but I don't think it's a drive issue.

It's still not booting and I'll post where it grinds down after this, but
my question is if there is anything I should try to revive it or if I
should just start over and re-install everything on it? I should have had
a good complete backup, but this was really a low priority test server
that we had just gotten to do something useful (no excuse). Also does it
sound like my guestimate is correct and the 15,000+ files creates problems
for ext3?

RH 7.3 (2.4.18-3)
from screen:

INIT: version 2.84 booting
INIT: can not execute "etc/rc.d/rc"
INIT: open(/dev/console): input/output error
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

If left going it produces more of the respawning too fast messages every
so often.

--
"There probably isn't any meaning in life. Perhaps you can find something
interesting to do while you are alive." — Orochimaru (Naruto)