[NBLUG/talk] Can't connect to the Internet

Barry Stump barry.stump at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 15:23:18 PST 2008

When you connect via vpnc, it asks the remote network for name servers
and if it gets any, it backs up  the current resolv.conf file
(presumably to /var/run/vpnc/resolv.conf-backup) and replaces it with
the info it received from the VPN network.  The original file is
restored when the daemon is terminated (usually by running
vpnc-disconnect).  This is why resetting your machine leaves your
connection broken.  I believe you can configure vpnc to not use remote
DNS info if you desire.

-Barry