[NBLUG/talk] MEETING August 2 this Saturday- BerkeleyTIP- 1st Global Talks Installfest Potluck ProgrammingParty

john_re john_re at fastmail.us
Wed Jul 30 05:59:57 PDT 2008

Hi NBLUGers - I hope you all can get a car pool together & come on down.
 Hope to see you.  :)

=====
The Berkeley GNU/BSD Talks Installfest Potluck & ProgrammingParty
is having its third GREAT meeting this
Saturday August 2, at the U. C. Berkeley Campus.
10 AM - 6 PM.

Berkeley-TIP-Global is a meeting of friendly, helpful people interested
in LEARNING about, USING & CREATING GNU & BSD type software.

Read the mail list, & join both groups:
==  LOCAL GROUP - WHO WILL BRING WHICH VIDEOS
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIP
==  GLOBAL GROUP - WHAT VIDEOS ARE AVAILABLE
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

=====  THREE GREAT NEW ADDITIONS THIS MONTH:
=====    1) TALKS, 2) GLOBAL, 3) PROGRAMMING PARTY
1) TALKS - about 7 this month
   [VOIP, Linus Torvalds - git, WIFI Repeaters,
    Python Intro - Martelli, MySQL, Web 2.0, OLPC]
   See details below -
   a) Determine talks you're interested in
   b) Look on BerkTIP mailing list
      to see if someone else will bring the video
   c) Otherwise YOU Download the video to your laptop & bring it,
      email to the list you'll bring that talk,
      and share watching it at the meeting on your laptop.
2) GLOBAL-USA simultaneous MEETINGS
   (Simultaneous meetings throughout the USA.)
   Bring your laptop & Microphone Headset & join VOIP & IRC chat with
     other attendees around the USA,
     and watching the same videos simultaneously.
3) PROGRAMMING PARTY MEETING TOPIC:
     VOIP, TeamSpeak - getting VOIP going between USA locations

Plan to arrive about 9:30 AM if you want to leisurely be ready for the
first talk at 10:00 AM

===  DO: Print out this email & bring it with you for reference.
There is a LOT of information here, & it will probably be valueable to
you to have it in print form for easy reference.  :)

===  DO; PLEASE RSVP TO john_re at fastmail dot us .
I want to know if we might need a larger meeting location.  Thank you.

I'm including the Global-USA announcement in full after this short local
announcement. It has lots of information. Do read it.

=====  PROGRAMMING PARTY TOPIC:
=====  VOIP TEAMSPEAK - GETTING VOIP GOING BETWEEN USA LOCATIONS
More like a group installfest project than actual programming.  Work
together to get a server running TeamSpeak, and ensure client TeamSpeak
sw communicates properly between groups around the USA.

=====  TENTATIVE MEETING LOCATION:  FREE SPEECH CAFE
FREE SPEECH CAFE Veranda outdoors at MOFFIT UNDERGRAD LIBRARY,
which is approximately the geographic center of campus.
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=37.872496,-122.261155&spn=0.000578,0.000633&t=h&z=20
http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/AboutLibrary/fsmcafe.html
http://www.berkeley.edu/map/maps/BC34.html
http://www.berkeley.edu/map/3dmap/3dmap.shtml

(It's the same place we had the first meeting.
Note: Don't go to Evans Hall, just go directly to the FSCafe.
Note: WATCH the BerkTIP WEBSITE the DAY OF THE MEETING IN CASE WE CHANGE
to ANOTHER meeting LOCATION.)

Weather page for Berkeley:
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?brand=sfgate&query=Berkeley%2C+CA
We had beautiful 75 degrees on the June meeting.  Be prepared for warmer
or cooler conditions.

It's GREAT to carpool. Saves $, gas, & is fun to talk with your fellow
travelers.
DO: YOU POST a carpool notice to this mailing list, or to lists covering
the geography you will travel through.  A great message would be like:

"Subject: CARPOOL to BerkeleyTIP Aug 2 Saturday
Am interested in attending the BerkeleyTIP meeting Aug 2 Saturday.
Can drive you if you pay a share of gas.
Or, I can pay for gas if you drive.
Email me your phone #.
Would like to arrive by 10 AM for the first talk."

We've had past attendees come from Sacramento & Pleasanton.  It would be
great if each LUG around Northern California could get one or more
carpools attending.

=====  INSTALLFEST:  This is a SELF RELIANT EVENT.
Bring everything you might possibly need - laptop, speakers, power cord,
wifi card, wifi router, router, ethernet cables, Distro ISOs, etc.
We will have power, & almost definitely Internet access.  Bring your
cell phone Internet if you have it, just in case.

=====  POTLUCK
Bring food for potluck, or $5 to order pizza or something. Optional.
Or, just bring your own bag lunch.  The cafe is expensive.
There are many less expensive restaurants about 4 short blocks walk.

=====  TRANSPORTATION:
CAR: University Exit from 880 Bayshore freeway. Up 1.5 mile to campus.
West entrance to campus has a map, & maybe someone in the entrance booth
to give directions.

CARPOOL!  CARPOOL!  CARPOOL!  - & POST A CARPOOL EMAIL TO YOUR LIST!!!!!

Parking:
There are about 60 on campus pay parking spaces near the Gym, about 200
yards away from the cafe.  There are several parking garages, which
charge on Saturday. The closest is on the North side of campus, Hearst
below Euclid, about a 4-5 short block walk from the cafe.
There is free street parking on the North side of campus - Check the
signs above the sidewalk for details. Hearst is the street at the North
edge of campus.
http://pt.berkeley.edu/
http://pt.berkeley.edu/around/drive
http://pt.berkeley.edu/park/public
http://www.ci.berkeley.ca.us/transportation/Parking/OffStreet.html

BART: Downtown Berkeley exit, 10 minute easy walk slightly uphill.

=====  SUMMARY:
This sould be a great event for anyone wanting to keep on top of the
leading developments in GNU/BSD technology.  With 7 or more great talks,
you'll learn lots & meet with many top people.

Read the GLOBAL-USA announcement below, to learn about
1) how this meeting is growing, &
2) for details about the talks.

NOTE: I'm doing this as a small part time effort as a volunteer for the
community when I have many other things to do with my time.  So, don't
expect perfection, do expect hiccups, and if you see something you think
could be improved - YOU CAN VOLUNTEER TO IMPROVE THINGS.  :)

Best wishes - I hope to see you there.  :)

===== APPENDIX:  The Global-USA Announcement
INVITATION- August 2 Saturday, Berkeley-TIP-Global-USA

====-----------------------=====
Hello from Berkeley, everyone. :)

Hey - I'm putting together a little global GNU(Linux)/BSD type free
software monthly event - anyone want to join in?

The Global Simultaneous Berkeley GNU(Linux)/BSD Software Monthly Event
  -  Talks, Installfest, Potluck & ProgrammingParty (TIP)
It goes Global-USA August 2, this Saturday.

If you are interested in LEARNING about, USING &/or CREATING FREE
SOFTWARE,
then you are invited to the First Berkeley-TIP-Global meeting.
Coming to YOUR LOCATION, in & throughout the USA. This Saturday August
2.
[Yep. You can do that.]

Join:
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

It's really easy to join with us.  And you'll have a fun day learning &
producing things with your buddies from all over the (Global)-USA.

I'm writing to let you know about this event,
& find out if anyone there is interested in
helping setup a local meeting, & participating with us.
If anyone is, I'll try to help you out -
  answer questions, give you some guidance.

=====  CONTENTS:  =====
1) THE MULTIMEDIA ANNOUNCEMENT
2) THE BASIC ANNOUNCEMENT DETAILS
3) TALKS SCHEDULE AUGUST 2 (Pacific Daylight Savings Time PDST)
4) TALKS/VIDEOS/GROUP_MEETINGS AGENDA (PDST)
5) TALKS:  Videos for the August 2 Meeting
6) !!!!! MAIN AGENDA FOR AUGUST 2 MEETING = VOIP !!!!!
7) ME + YOU = 3   -  What I do, what you do.
8) GLOBAL-USA   -  This month's step forward goal.
9) SUMMARY
--
10) Sample Local Announcement

===== 1) THE MULTIMEDIA ANNOUNCEMENT  =====
[Que: 10 Second Countdown]
[Roll: Countdown]

[Que: The first 42 seconds of Caravan,
by Van Morrison & The Band,
"Van Morrison - Caravan - The Last Waltz - great quality Video"
The Last Waltz, 1976,
San Francisco, California]

[Roll: Caravan]

=====
And, the caravan is on it's way -
I can hear that merry gypsy play.
Mama mama look at Ammareu!
She's a-playin' with the ... radio!

La la la la, la la la.
La la la la, la la la!

=====
Well, the Berkeley TIP has had two great meetings,
 and this month, once again,
 we're gonna bop it up another notch.

This month we go Global-USA.

You're invited -
 Come join with us, August 2 Saturday,
 Pacific Daylight Savings Time 10 AM - 6 PM.

Oh, . . . , yeah, . . ., at your local loca-tion.

[. . . oh, . . . yeah . .. . ] -

La la la la, la la la.
La la la la, la la la!

[ ;) ]

===== 2) THE BASIC ANNOUNCEMENT DETAILS  =====
If you are interested in LEARNING about, USING &/or CREATING FREE
SOFTWARE,
Then you are invited to the first Berkeley-TIP-Global meeting - this
Saturday August 2nd.

Berkeley-TIP-Global is a meeting for friendly, helpful people interested
in learning about, using & creating GNU & BSD type software.

There are 4 PARALLEL TRACKS of events at each meeting:
1) TALKS        Talks by various speakers (stream/DL video globally)
2) INSTALLFEST  Bring your computer & install BSD or GNU/Linux software.
3) POTLUCK      Bring $5 or food to share: eat, chat (optional)
4) PROGRAMMING PARTY     Write SW on your. or a group. project

The meeting will be held in multiple simultaneous locations around the
globe.  This month the meeting expands to locations around the USA.

This is a FREE, no $ cost, event.  If you want to make a donation to
help this event, that would be wonderful.

Like other things in life, you might need to DO A LITTLE SOMETHING for
you to have the event you want.  In particular, you likely will need to
DOWNLOAD A VIDEO for a talk you want to see.  It's easy.

This is a SELF-RELIANT event:
0) ARRANGE a local meeting LOCATION with INTERNET access.
     Could be as simple as someone's house, apartment,
     an internet cafe, a school room, or company office.
1) EMAIL to the BerkTIPGlobal mailing list LINKS to relevant VIDEO
TALKS.
2) DOWNLOAD the videos you want to see to your laptop.
3) EMAIL your LOCAL GROUP the list of videos you will bring.
4) BRING your laptop, VOIP headset, & etc.
5) Meet at a location with at least internet for IRC,
       better yet if it can handle VOIP,
       better still if it can receive streaming video, &
     WATCH videos/talks
     JOIN IRC & VOIP
     INSTALL SW
     EAT some food
     CHAT, &
     help CREATE SOFTWARE, DESIGN HARDWARE, or CREATE ART.

Join the mailing list.
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIPGlobal

Help set up a meeting in your area. I think it's best to have just one
central meeting within about a 60 mile radius - but, hey, what do I
know?  You do what you think is right.

===== 3) TALKS SCHEDULE AUGUST 2 (Pacific Daylight Savings Time PDST):
  ( !!! NOTE: Your time zone simultaneous times are a
        DIFFERENT HOUR OF THE DAY than the hours below
        if you aren't in PDST. So ADJUST FOR YOUR TIME ZONE!!!
        EX: EAST COAST USA = PDST + 3 HOURS.
        I.E. 10 AM PDST = 1 PM EDST.  )

===== 4) TALKS/VIDEOS/GROUP_MEETINGS AGENDA (PDST):  =====

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE: See the website for final schedule.

1000A NETWORKING - internet, Apache, Firefox web browser, VOIP...
      SOCIAL - EFF, FSF...
1130A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGES - Python, PERL, CC++, PHP...
      DATABASES - MySQL, MSQL, BerkeleyDB...
 100P GUI's - GNOME, KDE...
      DISTROS - GNU(Linux), BSD, Debian, Gentoo, FreeBSD OpenBSD...
 230P BUSINESS - CRM, ERP, spreadsheets...
      EDUCATION/ACADEMIC/SCIENCE - OLPC, SciPy...
 400P HARDWARE - OLPC, phone(OpenMoko)...
      PERSONAL APPLICATIONS - K/Open-Office, games, multimedia...
 530P ART - Creative Commons, music, visual, Wikipedia...

These are the TIME SLOTS for the various talks.  There will only BE
talks if someone makes a talk available for that time slot.  There are
two ways to do that: LIVE & PRE-RECORDED.  For this August 2 meeting, as
a practical matter, there isn't really time to get live talks going, I
think.  Thus, for this meeting we will just view previously recorded
talks.

I will suggest a few talks that people can download ahead of the
meeting, then view simultaneously at the meeting.  And, it is YOUR
responsibility to find pre-recorded talks for what interests YOU, and
post links to the download location for those talks to the mailing list,
so others can DL those talks & watch them simultaneously, at their
meeting sites.

See the group website & mailing list for details about what talks/videos
are scheduled for the topic times.

I'll also try to email the people who gave the recorded presentations,
so they can join us online after the video to answer questions & chat.

===== 5) TALKS:  Videos for the August 2 Meeting:   =====

TENTATIVE SCHEDULE: See the website for final schedule.

1000 AM--------------------------------------------------------------
Networking1:Asterisk VOIP - Sameer Verma
                http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2148055040572903738
                http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/MeetingAgenda20070628
Social:     ?
1130 AM--------------------------------------------------------------
Networking2:Debian - Setup A WiFi Repeater
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJKe_jXszFc
Prog Lang:  Painless Python Part 1 - Alex Martelli
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=bDgD9whDfEY
                http://mail.python.org/pipermail/baypiggies/2008-June/003629.html
Database:   A Googly MySQL Cluster Talk
                http://youtube.com/watch?v=HJ930zMk96U
100 PM--------------------------------------------------------------
GUIs:       ?
Distros:    git - Linus Torvalds
                http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2199332044603874737
230 PM--------------------------------------------------------------
Business:   Web 2.0 startups - David Weekly
                http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2765503550413131030
                http://www.penlug.org/twiki/bin/view/Home/MeetingAgenda20080626
Education:  Python on the OLPC XO Laptop - Merriam, Cherlin & __
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPabiIHgmBU
400 PM--------------------------------------------------------------
Hardware:   ? Open Moko?? - can we get someone to give a talk on this???
Pers Apps:  ? Games - TeamSpeak - can we get a talk on this???
530 PM--------------------------------------------------------------
Art:        ?

?? VLC video streaming??

Video download tool:
http://www.techcrunch.com/get-youtube-movie/
Or try youtube-dl ?

For this first meeting, the above list is probably plenty to start out
with - given that this is the startup meeting for the USA wide effort,
and a major effort & focus of this meeting will be to work on getting
inter-location communications going - ie, IRC & especially VOIP.  But,
feel free to suggest other talks for this meeting on the google groups
mailing list, if you so desire.

Note: When two talks are available for the same topic, ex: 2 Distro
talks, the second listed talk will happen in the time slot after the
first talk.  Ex: Distro1 talk at 10A, Distro2 talk at 1130A.

YOU SEARCH FOR RELEVANT TALKS - some links:
http://www.youtube.com
http://youtube.com/user/googletechtalks
http://www.archive.org/details/computersandtechvideos
http://www.archive.org/details/wikimedia
http://www.archive.org/details/movies
http://www.archive.org/details/opensource_movies

===== 6) !!!!! MAIN AGENDA FOR AUGUST 2 MEETING = VOIP !!!!! -  =====
  Getting COMMUNICATIONS working between meeting locations,
    Definitely IRC
    Especially VOIP - Ekiga, TeamSpeak, ?
    Maybe webcam streaming, video streaming, VLC?

The PROGRAMMING PARTY TOPIC for this meeting is:
  Help get IRC, VOIP, Webcam streaming working between meeting sites.
  If you know about these topics - this is your chance to help out.
  SOFTWARE: Ekiga, TeamSpeak, VLC webcasting
  http://goteamspeak.com

Since IRC should be easy to do,
the main focus of this meeting will be to get VOIP communications
working between multiple meeting site locations.  From the little search
I've done so far, TeamSpeak looks like it might be a good solution.

"TeamSpeak is a quality, scalable application which enables people to
speak with one another over the Internet. TeamSpeak consists of both
client and server software. The server acts as a host to multiple client
connections, capable of handling literally thousands of simultaneous
users. This results in an Internet based conferencing solution that
works in a variety of applications such as team mates speaking with one
another while playing their favorite online game, small businesses
cutting costs on long distance charges, or for personal communication
with friends and family."

=====  7) ME + YOU = 3   -  What I do, what you do.  =====
Note: I'm just creating the ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE for this meeting
  in my SMALL PART TIME,
  as my VOLUNTEER contribution to the GNU/BSD communities.
I'm creating the ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE for the meeting.
I'm NOT creating the MEETING - (although I'll certainly assist) -
  If YOU want to attend this meeting,
    then the person(s) creating the meeting are: YOU (collectively).
I'm creating the structure to enable
  people who want to be able to attend an event like this
  to put together the event they want to have.
That is part of the reason why I call this a "Self-Reliant event".
"Self-Reliance" means: if you see something that could be improved,
  figure out an improvement & help out with that.

===== 8) GLOBAL-USA   -  This month's step forward goal.  =====
When I set out to create this Berkeley-TIP-Global event,
I planned to start it small, & grow it one step at a time.
I've put together two great local meetings in Berkeley the past two
months.
This month, I'm working to enable persons who wish to participate
  to get this meeting going around the USA.

USA is the growth step this month.

Everyone everywhere in the world is welcome to set up a local
simultaneous meeting. Please forward this announcement to relevant other
mailing lists.  I only have time this month to focus my attention on USA
groups.  You, & anyone, are welcome, & encouraged, to set up a
simultaneous meeting in any part of the world.

I will be sending this email announcement to the following LUGs (State,
Group):
CA LULA SFVLUG, CO CLUE, FL LEAP, GA ALE, HI Luau, IL ChicagoLinux, LA
BRLUG, MA BLU, MD BaltoLUG, MI MDLUG, NC TriLUG, NY NYLUG, OR PLUG, PA
PLUG WPLUG, TX ALG, VA NoBALUG, WA GSLUG.

I chose those groups in each local area because with a quick search on
http://www.linux.org/groups/usa/
those groups seemed to be the ones in each area that had the most active
mailing list.

I will also try to send this announcement to the following interest
groups:
OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Debian, Gentoo, KDE, Gnome, FSF, GNU, EFF,
CreativeCommons, Python, LinuxWeeklyNews, Mozilla.

I will be sending a local announcement to SanFrancisco Bay Area LUGs,
directing to BerkTIP, the local, not global, group page.
http://groups.google.com/group/BerkTIP

==DO: -- Here are links for DIGG - please go to this URL to DIGG this
site to feature the announcement for this event prominently:
http://digg.com/software/Invite_Aug_2_Sat_1st_USA_wide_GNU_BSD_FreeSW_Culture_Mtg

In the next months I'll work to expand this to:
September 6: The Americas
October 4:   Europe
November 1:  Asia

===== 9) SUMMARY: