[NBLUG/talk] 10 year anniversary Linux thread

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Mon Jun 2 22:35:07 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 05:20:24PM -0700, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> Hi NBLUG,
>
> In honor of our upcoming 10 year anniversary, I thought it would be
> interesting to create a thread where those of us who have been using Linux
> that long and especially anyone who was at NBLUG the first year could
> reminisce a bit about Linux back then, and the group itself back then.

I had been using SunOS and Solaris at SSU for a few years, and was about
to graduate.  My friend Geoff had RedHat on his PC at home, and I thought
"wow! Unix for a PC! I need to get this RedHat thing!"  My PCs at home
were an IBM PS/2 running DOS 6 and an Atari 8-bit or three.

After I graduated, I moved in with my girlfriend and her roommate, and
used our roommate's PC to do some telecommuting work and continue doing
game development in X11, as I had been doing at SSU.  I forget which distro
she had on her PC, but it was probably RedHat.

Not long after, I bought my first 'modern' computer, a used Pentium 133MHz
for $300.  I went to Fry's and put RedHat Linux on it immediately, wiping
out the abomonation that was already on the drive: Windows95.

In December 1999, aforementioned roommate mentioned that she saw someone on
the 'ucd.life' Usenet newsgroup looking for a LUG in Davis, and within a month
we had all gotten together and started LUGOD.  I've been running, or helping
run it, ever since.  It's going on 10 years for us, too!

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/