[NBLUG/talk] What's your preference?

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri Jun 6 14:47:25 PDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 06, 2008 at 02:33:53PM -0700, mendozae at sonoma.edu wrote:

> I would like to do another one of my informal polls and ask our NBLUG
> community what its personal preference is between Kubuntu and Ubuntu.
> Which do you like to use more and why?

Kubuntu.  I disliked Gnome 1.x a lot.  I find KDE 3.x a lot more accessible,
in terms of:
+ not needing to use a mouse all the time
+ understanding and finding the options and personalizations I can adjust
  (anyone know how to convince FireFox to switch tabs w/o using the mouse?
  In KDE, I set all of my tab-based tools to let me use Alt+[ and Alt+]
  (Konsole, Kopete, Konversation and Konqueror, so far))
+ starting out with defaults that are sensible

My new laptop, a Dell Inspiron 1525 came with Ubuntu preinstalled
(thanks, Dell!), which I immediately upgraded from 7.10 to 8.04, then
added KDE to, and switched KDE to be my default.

In the day I had to deal with Gnome, I decided I no longer think it's
horrid and no longer wish it would just die. ;)  (I seriously wish, however,
that I could use KDE dialogs (e.g., Open, Save As and Print) in the few
GTK+ based apps I use: Gimp and Firefox -- the latter only for two or three
sites that don't work with Konq ;^) )

OTOH, I tried running KDE 4.0 on my desktop, and it was definitely not
ready for prime-time.  I won't be upgrading my Kubuntu to KDE 4.x until
things settle a lot more, and it achieves the level of stability, usability,
and speed that I've grown accustomed to in KDE 3.5.x.

Oh, and I had to boot into Windows XP the other day when I was cleaning up
everything on my work laptop.  Man, talk about becoming enraged.  Five minutes
into it and I wanted to punch something.

--
-bill!
bill at newbreedsoftware.com
http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/