[NBLUG/talk] What's your preference?

Sameer Verma sverma at sfsu.edu
Fri Jun 6 22:38:20 PDT 2008

mendozae at sonoma.edu wrote:
> I would like to do another one of my informal polls and ask our NBLUG
> community what its personal preference is between Kubuntu and Ubuntu.
> Which do you like to use more and why?
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Edward

A couple of points:

Ubuntu vs Kubuntu decision is largely a GUI-based preference, although
you could always install KDE dependent packages in Ubuntu and get all of
one and a bit of the other. I have stayed with GNOME since the beginning
mostly because of a sense of familiarity. Additionally, KDE reminds me a
bit too much of Windows :-)

Then there is the issue of "Why *Ubuntu?". The main reasons for that for
me are: Packaging (live CD + install) and Package management (Synaptic).
My students find both of these reasons as *very* helpful.

Finally, the business of polling for popularity...these  responses are
anecdotal and are terribly biased, at best. Think of all those people
who don't respond due to other reasons such as disagreement, lack of
time, etc. That's why such e-mails evoke passion and flames, but don't
mean much by way of representation. A proper random sample from the
population of *Ubuntu users would give us a better answer. It is a
difficult task, but would give us better insight.

Sameer

--
Dr. Sameer Verma, Ph.D.
San Francisco State University