[NBLUG/talk] Recent Thunderbird changes?

Peter Lutz aa6av at sonic.net
Tue Jun 10 19:28:44 PDT 2008

I've been using Thunderbird for e-mail for quite a while.
I recently rebuilt some computers, using Ubuntu rather than Debian,
and I am now finding that when I double click on a Thunderbird
attachment, I get a read-only version of the document.  This is
a recent change, and is quite irritating.  Now I know how my wife
feels when she ends up with read-only attachments on her Mac.
It appears that Thunderbird moves the attachment into /tmp where
it ends up with 400 permissions.  Does anyone know if this change
came from Thunderbird or from Ubuntu? and what I might do to end
up with a writable copy of the document in /tmp?  I can't find a
Thunderbird setting that seems to modify this, although I may not
recognize it in the config editor.

Thank you for any help.
Peter
--