[NBLUG/talk] Recent Thunderbird changes?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Jun 10 20:07:46 PDT 2008

Peter Lutz wrote:
> I've been using Thunderbird for e-mail for quite a while.
> I recently rebuilt some computers, using Ubuntu rather than Debian,
> and I am now finding that when I double click on a Thunderbird
> attachment, I get a read-only version of the document.  This is
> a recent change, and is quite irritating.  Now I know how my wife
> feels when she ends up with read-only attachments on her Mac.
> It appears that Thunderbird moves the attachment into /tmp where
> it ends up with 400 permissions.  Does anyone know if this change
> came from Thunderbird or from Ubuntu? and what I might do to end
> up with a writable copy of the document in /tmp?  I can't find a
> Thunderbird setting that seems to modify this, although I may not
> recognize it in the config editor.
>
> Thank you for any help.
> Peter

Are you certain that it's a Thunderbird problem?  Perhaps try
downgrading to an earlier package to find out for sure.

Reason I ask is because this sounds like more of something along the
lines of a perhaps a umask issue, or perhaps an issue with the way your
fstab is configured to mount /tmp.

HTH,

DR