[NBLUG/talk] eee pc

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 22:33:46 PDT 2008

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 7:46 PM, steven smith <sjs at sonic.net> wrote:
> Bill Kendrick wrote:
>  >
>  > Isn't it true that the Eee uses solid state (flash) drives, and not
>  > hard drives?  (Hence its ability to boot up in, like, 15 seconds, IIRC.)
>  Yes -- it does have flash drives, but (I could be mistaken)
>  I don't think flash is all that much faster than a hard disk
>  especially when writes are involved.

It may depend on the specific flash involved.  The MacBook Air (a far
more powerful ultraportable) has a choice of either an iPod-style hard
drive or flash, and I've been told that the flash is significantly
faster.

That being said, I don't have any idea how the speed of an iPod hard
drive compares to a standard 2.5" laptop hard drive.  And my only
experience with the MacBook Air is a pre-release display model I got
to play with at the Macworld Expo.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>