[NBLUG/talk] Printing PDF files - slow...

Steve Johnson srj at adnd.com
Thu May 1 08:43:38 PDT 2008

Dave,

I'm just curios, is this a network attached printer or a shared printer?

I had real slow printing of large files when I shared my printer which
was connected to my linux box via the USB port.  Once I connected the
printer to the network via its built in jet direct card (HP LJ2200Dn)
it got real speedy.. It can still be slow on complex PDF files, but
most of what I have printed so far have been real quick. (Mostly DMV
forms and a couple applications from the JC)

If this is a shared printer, and you don't have a network card for it,
there are some nice devices out there that let you plug a USB printer
into them, and then the device sits on the net and works as a print
server.. I had one by TrendNet that I got off fleabay (ha!) for about
$20, and it worked nicely on my old DeskJet 920C printer.

-Steve

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Dave Sisley <dsisley at sonic.net> wrote:
> Dave Sisley wrote:
>  > I'm afraid I didn't have time to play with this today, but I hope to
>  > actually sit at my desk tomorrow (who knows?).  I'm grateful for all the
>  > input.  It sounds to me like the place to start is by installing the
>  > correct PPD file - my habit up to now has been to let cups install one
>  > of the PCL drivers and let it go at that.  So far, that's been fine -
>  > I'm only now finding out about this pdf problem, as it's only
>  > manifesting on certain files.
>  >
>  > I'll try and install the PPD file as suggested and let you know how it
>  > goes...
>  >
>  > -dave.
>  As a follow-up, I was able to install the PPD file and it improved
>  things, sort of.  I think that the graphics in the file just mean that
>  it's going to take a while to load.  Further, I was impressed with the
>  performance of the Adobe PDF reader (Adobe Reader, v. 8.1.2).  I always
>  liked Evince, but it totally choked on that particular file (and there
>  will be others like it we need to deal with in the future).  Kpdf was
>  better than Evince, but very slow to send the print job.  The winner,
>  for this particular file was Adobe.
>
>  Thanks for the help, everybody.
>

>  -dave.
>
>  --
>  Dave Sisley
>  dsisley at sonic.net
>  roth-sisley.net

"Knowing others is wisdom; Knowing the self is enlightenment;
Mastering others requires force; Mastering the self needs strength." -
Lao-Tzu