[NBLUG/talk] swiftweasel vs iceweasel

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Thu May 1 10:09:45 PDT 2008

On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Sean <seanvanco at gmail.com> wrote:
>  The interesting thing here is that according to my research AMD64
>  flash and java just don't seem to work at their full abilities
>  (usually flash doesn't work at all).

There is no 64-bit Flash from Macromedia/Adobe.

I would have to check on the status of the AMD64 Java plugin from
Sun--I don't know if there's one available yet or not. (I'm reasonably
certain that there exists Java for AMD64, but I don't know about the
plugin.)

>  If Swiftweasel can get 64-bit flash to work, why not Iceweasel? Is it
>  just a tough nut to crack?

Either:

A. Swiftweasel is using a 64-bit build of Gnash (the GNU clone of Flash), or
B. Swiftweasel is using some plugin wrapper to run 32-bit Flash in a
64-bit browser, or
C. Swiftweasel is actually not 64-bit (I would have to look it up and see).

I'm betting on option B.

--
William Tracy
afishionado at gmail.com -- wtracy at calpoly.edu

Assembly language experience is [important] for the maturity and
understanding of how computers work that it provides.
 -- D. Gries