[NBLUG/talk] floppy recovery

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Fri May 23 16:26:22 PDT 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 04:08:04PM -0700, steven smith wrote:
> E Frank Ball III wrote:
> >
> > Try using "dd" to create an image of the disk, then mount that with the
> > loopback or make a new floppy from it.  The man page for dd talks about
> > a "noerror" flag that might be useful.
> >

> I thought you had to mount the disk to use dd on it??  Is this not so?
>
> Isn't the command something like dd if=/dev/sd... of=my_part_copy bs=512
> or something like that?

dd works on files, and like most good *nix tools, it doesn't care what that
file actually is.

So you can (and in this case, it's best) use it directly on the raw device.
Your example above (/dev/sd) is using the raw device for input.  You can
also write directly to a raw device, which is how I painfully learned about
dd's file agnosticism. ;-)

-t