[NBLUG/talk] Questiion re: dual head vid cards

Jim Bianchi jimbo at sonic.net
Sun May 25 15:57:19 PDT 2008

Hi. I'm looking for a recommendation for a single vid card that has dual
head capability. I've heard the name Matrox mentioned, but someone else
told me that firm was no longer in business. So.. nVidia?

My present system (H-P) apparantly will not let me use the on-board vid
while another vid card is inserted, so rather than mess w/the BIOS to
find out why, I'd like to get a proper dual head capable vid card (there
is no room or PCIx slots for fitting more than one extra vid card, else
this'd be duckola soup).

I like my present H-P system: 4gHz CPU, 1gig RAM, CDr/w drive, DVDr/w +
CDr/w drive, 60g HD, sound card, nVidia vid card -- nothing particularly
special, it's just nice and I'd like to keep it if possible. My present
vid card is a medium quality nVidia that works fine now (uses openGL).
I'm using X-windows under Debian etch.

My goal is to play WoW on my 22" Acer LCD monitor (which I'm doing now
with wine -- no problems there) AND use my 18" Samsung LCD monitor for
such as xchat, Icedove, Iceweasel, xmms, and so on using xinerama.

So. Requirements: At a minimum, it must run openGL, it must have at
least 256meg of vid RAM per monitor, it must be capable of serving two
monitors simultaneously, must be (easily) usable under X-windows using
Deb etch (xinerama). (No weird driver issues.)

Any gamers out there with similar setups or anyone else with suggestions?

jimbo at sonic.net