[NBLUG/talk] Install Help

Jeff Hemminger jeff.hemminger at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 11:15:35 PST 2008

Hi Everyone,
I've been struggling to get Slackware installed on an Acer laptop. I'm not
really familiar with what's going on but I'm hoping some of you can fill in
some pieces.

I repartitioned my harddrive like so:

/dev/hda1 - swap
/dev/hda2 - /
/dev/hda3 - /home
/dev/hda4 - /usr/local

I went through the install process without incident, and selected the
default option for the LILO bootloader and the default option for installing
the MBR.

When the install completed I rebooted and (sorry I don't have the message in
front of me) received an error asking me to add a root=___ param to the boot

I take it to mean that the bootloader, LILO, cannot find the MBR. Is that
correct? I've tried passing in root=hda and root=/dev/hda2, but neither of
those options worked.

Any help in explaining what I did wrong would be much appreciated.

Jeff