[NBLUG/talk] Unbreaking ubuntu using dpkg?

Troy Arnold troy at zenux.net
Sun Nov 16 23:04:09 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:25:09PM -0800, Bob Blick wrote:
> Ubuntu ships with a crippled version of Imagemagick, so I built it from
> source and installed it. Unfortunately the configure script or something
> isn't very good with paths and I'm left with no functioning Imagemagick

Next time, it's probably worth looking into how to edit the deb src's to
build your own .debs.  That's usually pretty easy if you're just changing
configure flags or adding a patch.

> at all (convert: error while loading shared libraries:
> libMagickCore.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory)

If the advice below doesn't clean up your system, check the contents of
/etc/ld.so.conf* for references to any library path that might have been
created during your source install.

> Any hints how I can force a reinstall?

aptitude reinstall imagemagick
Same deal may be necessary for some of the packages listed in the Depends: line for
the imagemagick pkg.
Depends: libbz2-1.0, libc6 (>= 2.7-1), libfontconfig1 (>= 2.4.0),
libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5), libice6 (>= 1:1.0.0), libjpeg62, liblcms1 (>=
1.15-1), libmagick10, libsm6, libtiff4, libx11-6, libxext6, libxt6, zlib1g
  (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-1)

debsums is a good tool for checking package integrity. Say, if your 'make
install' overwrote some library not included in Debian's Imagemagick
package or even if you suspect media errors...

# debsum -s
debsums: checksum mismatch libmagic1 file /usr/lib/libmagic.so.1.0.0

I've never checked it out but graphics magic, a mature fork of imagemagick,
seems worth a look.  http://www.graphicsmagick.org/

-t