[NBLUG/talk] clamd signature processing on service start

Sean seanvanco at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 17:48:37 PST 2008

It turned out that updating was a major problem. Freshclam locked the
database and wouldn't let go, causing the clamd socket to drop and
mail to be delayed permanently.

I finally found the solution. It turns out that there is a problem
with version .90 of clamav, and that's the latest in the standard
Debian Etch repositories. I had to add the volatile repository as
recommended per this page:

http://www.clamav.net/download/packages/packages-linux/

Also read: http://www.debian.org/volatile/ (saying the above is the
correct way to do this)

After upgrading to 0.94, the new Debian conf file for clamav
(/etc/clamav/clamd.conf) has an incorrect option that version .94 does
not recognize. I had to remove the entry for PhishingScanURLs and
restart clamd and freshclam (if you have freshclam running as a
daemon).

http://www.nabble.com/Installing-Clamav-on-Debian-td19376036.html

Now when I run freshclam or restart the clamd daemon, it only takes a
few seconds to complete (perhaps 15 seconds) and I have no further
problems.

I hope this helps someone else out there.