[NBLUG/talk] Introduction

Jordan Erickson jerickson at logicalnetworking.net
Wed Oct 15 14:20:44 PDT 2008

Hey all,

My name is Jordan Erickson, I've been a resident of Sonoma County all my
life (I'm 28) and a Linux user since ~1995. Been a Debian zealot for
forever and love Ubuntu for desktops. IANAP, but do love Linux
sysadminning and am getting more into shell scripting than before. I use
Gnome right now but have been pondering putting Fluxbox back on some of
my systems as I miss the responsiveness and screen real estate.

I run a business called Logical Networking Solutions (
http://logicalnetworking.net ) doing general technical
contracting/support under Windows and Linux, and my long term goal is to
be a 100% Linux shop, specializing in LTSP setups in education and
non-profit type scenarios. I'm currently taking the time to reconstruct
the Ubuntu LTSP community wiki (
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ ) and do documentation
work as time permits. I am usually always in #ltsp / #edubuntu on
Freenode during the workday. I'm currently working with a local school
district to convert 7 elementary schools to Linux/LTSP. They are all
live at this point, and we're just ironing out bugs. They're all under
Ubuntu Hardy, and each school has ~35 lab clients. This year we're
planning on moving the setup past the lab into the classrooms, to
provide thin-client services there as well. It's been a blast so far - a
lot of work, but seeing as I'm the only one administrating all of these
networks, it proves how little manpower you need to get LTSP going!

I'd like to become a "board member at large" of the NBLUG. I think it'd
be awesome to dig as deep as I can into the local Linux community. I
went to my first meeting in a VERY long time last night and couldn't
believe how many people were there since I was there last - of course,
last time I went to a meeting, KPPP was being demonstrated. Musta been
about 10 years ago.

Anyway, nice to sub to the list, hope to hear some useful chatter and
hope to contribute to NBLUG in a useful way.

Cheers,
Jordan