[NBLUG/talk] Kubuntu resets screen resolution to 640x480 after restart

Eric T. Landerville eric at landerville.com
Thu Oct 23 21:55:47 PDT 2008

Lincoln Peters wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:08 PM, David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net> wrote:
>
>> Sean wrote:
>>
>>> Well, that's assuming their modem can handle that... I know that not
>>> all (many?) can.
>>>
>> He says they're behind a router, though, so perhaps it can.  Many recent
>> routers provide that functionality these days.
>>

> The router (which is maybe 5 years old now) doesn't natively support
> DynDNS, but it does support port forwarding, so if a DynDNS client
> were installed on the Kubuntu machine, that would work.
>
> I actually used to have DynDNS set up when I lived there, but the
> client was on my computer, not theirs.  I was running Debian/Sarge(?)
> at the time, so it should be easy enough to install the next time I'm
> up there.  However, I don't know when that might be.

Lincoln,
Who makes the router?  I know my 5 year old Linksys has a check a box
that will allow someone from the outside to configure the router.  Walk
your folks through checking this box.  While there in there get the
status of the router and get its IP.  Then you log into the router, set
it to forward port 22 to your parents computers and ssh in.
Eric