No subject

Mon Oct 20 10:24:32 PDT 2008

to one of the virtual consoles.  To get back to X itself, hit
Ctrl + Alt + F7.   (Note: On the text consoles themselves, Ctrl is
unnecessary.  So you can do:  Ctrl+Alt+F1 to go to text, then Alt+F7 to go
back to graphics.)

Once in text mode, you can log in and issue:

  sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

to kill X.  (Note: This'll kill it regardless as to whether you're logged in!)

Also note that, in KDE at least, I've seen "Switch user" options that
let me get to the text consoles from X using the GUI.  I forget exactly
where I saw them (from the screen lock password dialog?...  a 'switch user'
tool in the K menu?  Hrmm)

> Having the login manager required
> for proper functioning of the desktop is not something I've seen in
> previous versions.

We might be working -around- the problem, then.  But I think having
a usable system now is probably helpful, esp. considering we can't seem
to track down the precise recipe to get you a usable system _without_ using
gdm, for whatever the reason is.

Computers have gotten too complicated. Where's my Atari? :)

Anyway, hope that helps a little! :) Gotta run,

--
-bill!
Sent from my computer