[NBLUG/talk] BSD devil rapes linux penguin

Ken McGlothlen mcglk at artlogix.net
Sun Sep 14 12:24:34 PDT 2008

mendozae at sonoma.edu writes:

| What is this prison humor about? I saw an image in the internet of a 'free
| bsd little devil' raping a linux penguin. this implies some kind of
| condescending rivalry that i'm unfamiliar with. is anyone here privy to
| this story?

Condescending rivalry is, I suppose, inevitable.  One of the reasons I like the
FreeBSD movement so much is that the founders took great pains to smooth over
any rivalry by instituting an atmosphere of cooperation and codevelopment.
FreeBSD runs Linux binaries.  It tries to coordinate security efforts between
the BSDs and the Linuxes.  In general, it tries its best to walk a fine line of
system agnosticism.

In spite of that, some have a sort of sports-team mentality when it comes to
operating systems.  From a design point of view, I think FreeBSD has a better
design for what I need it to do; that's not to say that FreeBSD is the best
operating system to use in all circumstances.  Linux has a snappier user
experience under modest system loads, for example; some versions of Linux are
far friendlier to amateur users than any of the BSDs.  But the sports-team
mentality has a sort of THIS WHATEVER-I-SUPPORT IS THE BEST EVAR AND YOUR
WHATEVER-YOU-SUPPORT SUUUUUUCKS sentiment that I find unhelpful.

But that's the mentality that came up with that image.  It's an image that most
of the FreeBSD community, I hope, disavows.  It's certainly an image that the
founders of the FreeBSD movement would disavow.

---Ken