[NBLUG/talk] 64-bit Linux on the desktop?

Lincoln Peters anfrind at gmail.com
Wed Dec 23 23:44:18 PST 2009

This weekend, I'm going to upgrade my parents' computer (running a
slightly outdated version of Kubuntu) with a new motherboard and video
card, more RAM, and a quad-core AMD Phenom processor.  I'm guessing
I'll need to reinstall the OS, and I noticed that there's a 64-bit
version of Kubuntu and I'm wondering if it would be worth giving it a
try.

Has anyone used the 64-bit version of Kubuntu?  I'm guessing that it
will work pretty much the same as the 32-bit version, although I know
there's no 64-bit versions of some of the things they use regularly
(*cough*Flash*cough*), and I've never tried running 32-bit code on a
64-bit Linux kernel (although I've heard it can be done).  No big deal
if it won't work, though, since nothing they use the computer for is
going to require a 64-bit OS for the foreseeable future.

--
Lincoln Peters
<anfrind at gmail.com>