[NBLUG/talk] Problems booting Ubuntu 8.10 after maintenance

Steve Bursch sbursch at sonic.net
Wed Feb 25 12:59:20 PST 2009

All:

Thank you for all of your suggestions.  Before I received them, however, I tried booting from an Ubuntu 8.10 CD I recently created from an ISO file.  While booted from the CD, I used gedit to make a permanent modification to the grub menu.lst file.  Basically, I made the change suggested earlier by Troy be permanent.  Since my experience with the suggested procedure was only intermittently successful, I wasn't very hopeful, but I didn't think it would hurt, either.

After I made the change to the menu.lst file (by adding "rootdelay=130" to the kernel entry), the machine now boots every time successfully.  Go figure.  My plan going forward is to keep a watchful eye for signs of HD failure.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.  I appreciate it.

----Steve