[NBLUG/talk] Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (0, 0)

Robert Hayes rhayes at silcom.com
Tue Jan 27 12:24:54 PST 2009

Greetings, all,

I have (had) an installation of Debian Etch working beautifully and reliably
on my older laptop (AMD 475Mhz, 4GB hd, 180MB RAM) running Elightenment16 and
Opera + some Gnome. So well in fact that it prompted me to invest in maxing
out the memory for the laptop to the limit: 180MB. (It cost me $12 including
shipping.)

Then I wanted to try loading a distro from a USB thumb drive, and chose
DamnSmallLinux. I booted from the live DSL CD, and chose USB drive install to
a new 4GB microSD thumb drive ($6 including shipping from China!).

When I went to reboot the system from the hard drive (Etch) I received the
following messages and the system hangs. The grub device maps seem unchanged,
the rest of the grub.conf is the same as before the DSL install.

I've googled this error code and stopped reading after about 30+ different
problems that result in this error code but are completely unrelated to this
experience. It seems to be a fairly common error response.

Any ideas or leads?

I don't think the first few lines are relevant to the problem but included
them just in case.

TIA,

Robert

-----

RAMDISK: incomplete write (-28 !=32768) 8388608

RAMDISK: ran out of compressed data

invalid compressed format (err=1)

VFS: Cannot open root device "hda1" or unknown-block )0,0)