[NBLUG/talk] Drive not detected after moving to a new case

John Nouveaux john at nouveaux-solutions.com
Sun Jul 19 20:33:56 PDT 2009

Lincoln,

I'm not sure this (directly) answers your question, but in cases like
this I'm *way* happy I have one of these on hand:

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Drive-Adapter-Serial-ATAPI/dp/B0012TOG08

It's helped on more than one occasion to narrow down the source of
drive problems.

john "you can never have too many backups" nouveaux

On Jul 19, 2009, at 7:17 PM, Lincoln Peters wrote:

> I just migrated my parents' custom-built, six-year-old computer from
> an old, gigantic steel tower into a more manageable, aluminum tower.
> Almost everything went perfectly, except for one hard drive
> (containing my mom's home directory) that had a stripped screw
> securing it to the drive bay.  After trying multiple sizes of
> screwdriver, a few different kinds of pliers, and even using a pair of
> wirecutters to try to push it out as I tried to turn it, nothing would
> move it.  Finally, I was able to somehow twist off the head, but the
> shaft was left inside.  The drive itself looked OK, so I thought it
> would be OK; I just wouldn't be able to secure it to the new drive bay
> at that point.
>
> Well, once I got everything moved to the new tower, I found that
> everything worked EXCEPT for that one hard drive.  When the drive
> controller auto-detects the attached drives, it detects the other
> drive that's attached to it (which contains my dad's home directory),
> but not the drive that had the stripped screw.  I checked that all the
> connections were OK, and I even tried switching the connections on the
> controller (in case it was the controller that was faulty), and it
> still didn't work.  Now, I'm starting to worry that I might have
> accidentally wrecked the drive while trying to remove that screw.
>
> Any ideas what might have gone wrong?  How I might be able to fix it?
> If the drive is even still usable?
>

> I think there is a backup of everything that was on that drive, but
> it's over a month old now.

John Nouveaux
Nouveaux Solutions
john at nouveaux-solutions.com