[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu without booting into X

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Fri May 1 11:47:23 PDT 2009

On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 11:12:26AM -0700, Bob Blick wrote:
> If I started X with "sudo gdm" I pretty much got a normal X experience,
> but some things are missing like the user-switching thing that displays
> your name at the upper right. I also felt uneasy having to use sudo to
> start gdm.

I remember old, old RedHat used 'runlevels' to bring X up.
('runlevel 5' was X, 'runlevel 2' or '3' was console-only)

On Ubuntu, I think you can simply remove the symlink to
'/etc/init.d/gdm' from your '/etc/rc4.d/' (I use Kubuntu, so I actually
have an "S30kdm" in there... it's probably something like "S30gdm").

Then use:

  sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

rather than:

  sudo gdm