[NBLUG/talk] Ubuntu without booting into X

Bob Blick bobblick at ftml.net
Fri May 1 12:18:14 PDT 2009

On Fri, 01 May 2009 11:59:09 -0700, "Dave Sisley" <dsisley at sonic.net>
said:
> Bill Kendrick wrote:
> > On Fri, May 01, 2009 at 11:12:26AM -0700, Bob Blick wrote:
> >
> >> If I started X with "sudo gdm" I pretty much got a normal X experience,
> >> but some things are missing like the user-switching thing that displays
> >> your name at the upper right. I also felt uneasy having to use sudo to
> >> start gdm.
> >>

> > I remember old, old RedHat used 'runlevels' to bring X up.
> > ('runlevel 5' was X, 'runlevel 2' or '3' was console-only)
> >

> Not so old:  It's still there in Fedora 10.
>
> Does Ubuntu not have an /etc/inittab file?

No inittab, and runlevel is 2 even with X running. Actually I'd be
happiest if I could just get KDE 3.5 running instead of 4.2 on Ubuntu
9.04, Gnome is going to take some learning for me.

Renaming S30gdm to K70gdm in /etc/rc2.d and starting it with "start"
seems to be working fine.

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Bob